Nova Scotia: On Being Sensitive

Now that I'm back in Halifax again, the rest of the premiers are within easy driving distance. With the exception, of course, of Alberta, but that's a different matter that will be dealt with later. Now it was time to photograph the home of Premier Rodney McDonald, the premier of my home province of Nova Scotia. It was a short 4 hour drive to Cape Breton Island, where Premier McDonald makes his home.
However, this one I was really worried about because of horrible timing in which I was planning to take the photograph. Those of you outside of Nova Scotia (and possibly even some of you inside of it) probably haven't heard that news broke just last week that Premier McDonald and his wife had just separated. Apparently, there had already been a mini-news conference outside their home on Cape Breton where his wife is currently staying, and the house I was planning on photographing. Obviously, it was a sensitive time for all of them, and I was just worried about trampling into town, stand on top of my car and photograph their home - and then get mobbed by their neighbours, townspeople, police, etc, for being an insensitive jerk who they would probably think is a reporter trying to get dirt on the couple.
To make matters more delicate, the town they live in is rather small (probably only about 1000 people) and the McDonalds were well-respected members of the community. The Premier used to be the high school gym teacher and everybody seemed to really like them. Again, even higher potential for a threatening mob against me to show support for the Premier and his wife against the vile, infiltrating photographer seemingly exploiting their unfortunate situation.
So, I treaded carefully. I was staying at a local B&B, and talked extensively about my project with the older couple that ran the operation, specifically about any suggestions they might have to alleviate the public's concerns. Once I described my intentions and such, they were okay with me. I contacted the police and let them know in case any neighbours saw me photographing and tried to bring the law down on me. The McDonalds live next door to a gift shop, so I went to them as well and explained my intentions, and again, they were okay with it once I explained the project. I even went and knocked on the door of the house to talk to Lori-Ann McDonald (the wife) about the project, but she wasn't home. So, after walking across enough proverbial eggshells to turn the soles of my shoes white, I stood up on the roof of my car and took the picture. Nobody stopped me, or yelled at me, or threw trash at me. I got the picture and I left.
I sometimes think that I often make way too big of a deal of these situations since with pretty much every province, the picture-taking part has been very anti-climatic. Nobody stops me, nobody threatens me, nobody hurls insults, nothing. C'mon people! Let's get some action going here! However, maybe I shouldn't speak so soon since New Brunswick is coming up soon, and they are the ones that threatened to sue not me, but my publisher, should I try to include them in the project. Could be fun!
But, for Nova Scotia, I'm glad I took the precautions that I did, because it is obviously a sensitive time for them. So, Premier McDonald, if you're reading this, sorry about the timing. Wasn't intentional, it was planning to be this time over two months ago now.
On the flip side, spending time in a small Cape Breton community meant I got to see my first ceiledh, a showcase of traditional Gaelic music, and enjoy some beautiful scenery along the way. And now I'm 11 for 12.
However, I did get some dirt about the architecture of the house. From the outside, it's apparent that there are two floors to the house. But, the lady who ran the B&B I stayed at informed that they've heard there is no second storey. The windows and raised roof are all for show, and the house can more accurately be decribed as a bungalow. I guess it just looks more impressive to have a fake second floor on your home that's actually filled with nothing but rafters to support the roof. Bizarre.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home