17 July 2006

Manitoba: Killing Time


I think I was getting the hang of this project by the time I left Saskatchewan for Manitoba. I left Regina on an early morning flight, arrived in Winnipeg at around 8 am. By 9.30 am, I had rented a car, had breakfast, found a place to stay, dropped my stuff, went to the Land Titles Office and had an address for Premier Gary Doer. Not bad for 90 minutes.

I went up to find the house right away to see the best time to take a photograph was. As it was a little too cloudy in Winnipeg that day for my liking, I decided to wait until the following morning to take a picture. It was at that point that I found out that Manitoba had finally responded to my requests for taking the photograph, and it was a negative response. To a certain extent, I would have preferred to have no response than a negative response. That way, if someone gets mad at me for taking a picture of their house, I could just say that I got no response either way and they knew when I was coming, so it's their own fault. But, now, tiny tentacles of paranoia starting creeping into me.

However, the next morning, I took the picture without incident. The only interaction I had with a human being during the shoot was a woman walking by, who asked me if I lived in the house I was photographing. I just said, 'No. It's just a school project.' That seemed to placate her.

So, with my flight out of Winnipeg not leaving for a couple days, I got to spend some time exploring Winnipeg. It's an interesting city with an eclectic mix of old and new. However, I cannot recommend staying in Room 9 at the International Hostel in Winnipeg. It has bed bugs. You have been warned!

And now, I'm 3 for 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home